Until The Last Rebel!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you sell Aiden Mcgeady?

+5
CE
ElPaso
niall
clagan
Green2thecore
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Would you sell Aiden Mcgeady? Empty Would you sell Aiden Mcgeady?

Post  Green2thecore Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Below is an article from The Herald on his propsed transfer to Russia. I think we all know he won't go there but what's your thoughts on the matter? Would you sell him to raise funds or is he indisposable?

Aiden McGeady is unlikely to see Spartak Moscow move as benefiting career

The Barclays Premier League would likely be the destination of choice for Celtic winger Aiden McGeady
Alison McConnell

He may have been at the club since the age of 12 and is now perceived as the jewel in Celtic’s crown, yet Aiden McGeady has always harboured ambition beyond the SPL.

But in Russia?

Spartak Moscow have shown a serious interest in the 24-year-old, although their valuation of £8m is £2m shy of what Celtic consider his worth.

If boosting his earning power is McGeady’s aim, then Russia would excite, since the move to Moscow would be nothing if not lucrative. Money, though, will not be the motivating force behind any move and McGeady will be looking to one of Europe’s elite leagues as his proving ground.

Bayern Munich revealed an interest in the player last January, and such a prestigious move would appear to be in keeping with the player’s aspirations, but the Barclays Premier League will surely be the most enticing carrot.

It is only in recent years that he has matured 
and now tries to do what is right for the team
Alex McLeish is an admirer, but Birmingham, for all that they had an excellent campaign last season, may not meet the requirements of McGeady, who would find the prospect of being sucked into a relegation battle unattractive.

He is not the kind of player who would sell himself short in order to forge a path to a bigger league. But the club would have to offer a level of glamour, too.

However, Andrei Kanchelskis, the former Manchester United and Rangers winger, believes a stint in Russian football would, indeed, be beneficial to the player.

“I would certainly recommend Aiden McGeady to move to Spartak Moscow,” said the former Russian internationalist. “As I see it, there are more advantages for him than disadvantages. If we leave aside the money matters, the Russian premier league is, from my point of view, stronger than the SPL. From my personal experience, I also know how useful it could be to change the environment and play in a different country.

“Spartak is certainly one of the best clubs in Russia, and by far the most popular. This season they will start in the Champions League directly from the group stage, avoiding qualification. As for the disadvantages of such a move, the main one I can see is that Spartak now play all their home matches at the notorious plastic grass of Luzhniki stadium. There is also a limit for foreign players in the Russian premiership where a team can have only six non-Russians on the pitch at any one time.

“But it should not be a problem if Spartak boss Valery Karpin is interested in having a Scottish winger. Then it will be only up to Aiden himself to prove he is stronger than any Russian the manager may use in his position.”

McGeady, for all his qualities, has not impressed to the same degree as Henrik Larsson did at Celtic. The player continues to have his critics in Scotland and he will realise that it is only by testing himself regularly in one of the top leagues that he will be able to make the necessary moves to silence his dissenters.

Don Givens, the former Republic of Ireland under-21 manager, believes the player is ready for the Barclays Premier League but has doubts over whether or not he would be in a position to command a regular start in any of the leading English sides.

“The most important thing for him is that wherever he goes he has to make sure he will be playing regularly,” he said. “When he was younger, much of what he did was for Aiden McGeady. It is only in recent years that he has matured and now tries to do what is right for the team. But he is used to playing every week with Celtic and he is a massive player there.

“If, for example, he was to move to Arsenal, where the competition is immense, it might be that he is playing every couple of weeks and I don’t know how he would handle that. There are very few players within the top four or five clubs who can command a start every week.

“But in terms of Spartak Moscow, I’d think there was next to no chance of that one coming off. I’d be most surprised if anything came of it. I’d be amazed if he decided that his future lay in Russia. I don’t doubt that the standard is better than the SPL, but it is very far away and there is always the danger that you can slip off the radar a little bit.

“It is a helluva way to go, especially if you think that there are likely to be other options for him.”

Garry O’Connor is the obvious name who will testify to that. Russia may be a far-off land, but pastures new are increasingly beckoning for McGeady.
Green2thecore
Green2thecore

Back to top Go down

Would you sell Aiden Mcgeady? Empty Re: Would you sell Aiden Mcgeady?

Post  clagan Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:02 am

why sell our best player?

its alot of money but who replaces him? Maloney and McCourt are hardly ever fit, Aiden rarely misses a game, spending big on a replacement is a risk so why do it?

as you said on another thread G2TC get boruc signed, keep Aiden, sign Ramis and Campbell, Lawrence too, dont think we'll get Ledley.

so that just leaves a quality CF, and we should have money to spend on that without selling.
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  niall Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:41 am

id prefer not to sell him but it may be best for him at least if we do
niall
niall

Back to top Go down

Post  clagan Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:16 am

Aidens never hidden his desire to play in la liga so when he does leave i cant see it being to Russia.

as big headed as he is i'm sure, especially after what happened Naka, he knows he's not good enough yet. he still has alot of improving to do.
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  Green2thecore Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:37 am

clagan wrote:Aidens never hidden his desire to play in la liga so when he does leave i cant see it being to Russia.

as big headed as he is i'm sure, especially after what happened Naka, he knows he's not good enough yet. he still has alot of improving to do.

I don't see him getting much better mate, I remember Lenny saying a couple of weeks back that McGeady has 'levelled out,' ie, he was sugggesting he has stagnated. I think the move suits both us and him.

I've not always felt like this about Aiden, in fact up until this season I was completely over the top in my estimation of him. I thought he was going to be world class. But I have ust become completely frustrated by him nowadays.

Plus, I think we need the money to raise funds.
Green2thecore
Green2thecore

Back to top Go down

Post  niall Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:39 am

Green2thecore wrote:
clagan wrote:Aidens never hidden his desire to play in la liga so when he does leave i cant see it being to Russia.

I don't see him getting much better mate, I remember Lenny saying a couple of weeks back that McGeady has 'levelled out,' ie, he was sugggesting he has stagnated. I think the move suits both us and him.

I've not always felt like this about Aiden, in fact up until this season I was completely over the top in my estimation of him. I thought he was going to be world class. But I have ust become completely frustrated by him nowadays.

Plus, I think we need the money to raise funds.

aiden def didnt progress this year but that could have been down to the team being so poor. You may be right about needing the money and all
niall
niall

Back to top Go down

Post  clagan Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 am

i took the levelling out comments to mean he's been more consistent.

if we do need to raise funds it should be done by selling the deadwood rather than our most valuable asset.

on his day McGeadys superb, who are we going to get that can do what he does and remain fit all season?
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  Green2thecore Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 am

clagan wrote:i took the levelling out comments to mean he's been more consistent.

if we do need to raise funds it should be done by selling the deadwood rather than our most valuable asset.

on his day McGeadys superb, who are we going to get that can do what he does and remain fit all season?

I don't like seeing us trying to play through one player all the time mate. I'd rather sell him and get a few good professionals in with the money, guys who are winners and know how to win games ugly. I'd like to see us perform more as a team. It's embarrassing watching our players get the ball and just looking for Aiden at every turn.

Plus, I just don't think he has progressed the way I wanted him to. I only remember one game last season were he controlled the game. I do like him and would like to keep him but if it meant raising £10 million which would be reinvested into the team, then I'd punt him.

I'd also be looking to get rid of a lot of the deadwood too. Samantha, Loovens, Mick and Fortune could raise another £8 million.
Green2thecore
Green2thecore

Back to top Go down

Post  clagan Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 am

no doubt we were far too predictable last season but thats not McGeadys fault, its the other players. if they stepped up there wouldn't be a problem.

i'd rather keep McGeady and get some other players who can actually do something with the ball.

not that we had a settled MF last season but most of the time it looked something like brown-crosas-n'guemo-McGeady

aidens the only with an attacking threat. keep him and get another attacking threat in the team.
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  ElPaso Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:12 pm

im getting sick of mcgeadys lack of consistency and I believe it is the right time for him to move on. he wont go to russia i wouldnt imagine but he will prob end up at birmingham or at best the likes of spurs.
we should get the 10m or close to it and get lawro in da fuck. probably more solid overall anyway.
then there is still 8m left to strengthen further.

i obviously am fond of mcgeady , but the time to go is now. for all concerned. a few bundesliga clubs were watchin him a while back , now the russians are loitering. might increase his price for the likes of the epl clubs to pay. we may not get the inflated price we are looking for again , for aidan.
ElPaso
ElPaso

Back to top Go down

Post  CE Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 pm

People like Lennon don't call him the most gifted player he has seen for no reason, I have always fought his corner but I think its got to the stage that if he goes then the money is a good cushion. Where as before I don't think any amount of money would of helped.
CE
CE
Admin

https://utlr.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan67 Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Aye, I'd sell him because he hasn't particularly improved in the last few years or so and I think a change would be good for him and us. We should be selling others before him but he is the only one whom we can command a big sum of money for and that is needed if we are to rebuild...unless of course these investment rumours are true Rolling Eyes
Ryan67
Ryan67

Back to top Go down

Post  niall Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 am

Ryan67 wrote:Aye, I'd sell him because he hasn't particularly improved in the last few years or so and I think a change would be good for him and us. We should be selling others before him but he is the only one whom we can command a big sum of money for and that is needed if we are to rebuild...unless of course these investment rumours are true Rolling Eyes

now ryan, why would they not be true Laughing
niall
niall

Back to top Go down

Post  clagan Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:44 am

people say sell him because he hasn't improved, if we applied the same thinking to the rest of the squad, we'd have to sell them all.

people judge him alot harder than they do other players, because everyone knows he's the best. no doubt he's frustrating but he's rated at 8mill for a reason, on his day he's outstanding.
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  niall Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:45 am

clagan wrote:people say sell him because he hasn't improved, if we applied the same thinking to the rest of the squad, we'd have to sell them all.

people judge him alot harder than they do other players, because everyone knows he's the best. no doubt he's frustrating but he's rated at 8mill for a reason, on his day he's outstanding.

i know what you mean and this is one of the reasons why i think a move is in HIS best interest. Celtic fans either love or hate him, and that cant be good for the bhoy
niall
niall

Back to top Go down

Post  Fat Tony 10 Cocks Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 am

yes
Fat Tony 10 Cocks
Fat Tony 10 Cocks

Back to top Go down

Post  niall Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:04 am

Fat Tony 10 Cocks wrote:yes

simple and to the point. I like it
niall
niall

Back to top Go down

Post  Fat Tony 10 Cocks Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:17 am

niall wrote:

youll come to know me like that comrade, thats how i was reported as in school aswell

mind you i was the only kid with a pair of wheels
Fat Tony 10 Cocks
Fat Tony 10 Cocks

Back to top Go down

Post  CE Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:18 am

Fat Tony 10 Cocks wrote:
niall wrote:

youll come to know me like that comrade, thats how i was reported as in school aswell

Hahaha. Keep it on topic or you all banned. Joke I am not Trebor Dempsi.
CE
CE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  clagan Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 am

Fat Tony 10 Cocks wrote:
niall wrote:

haha, love it.
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  clagan Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:50 am

apparently he's decided to move on and if we recieve an improved offer it'll be accepted. i hope its just paper talk.
clagan
clagan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghod Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:04 pm

If he stays then fair enough, if we get an offer we can't refuse it would be unrealistic to think Lenny wouldn't accept it, we need to build a team somehow and selling Aiden would give us the money required to do so. I think we would be a much better team at the start of next season with Aiden in the team though.
Ghod
Ghod

Back to top Go down

Post  niall Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Ghod wrote:If he stays then fair enough, if we get an offer we can't refuse it would be unrealistic to think Lenny wouldn't accept it, we need to build a team somehow and selling Aiden would give us the money required to do so. I think we would be a much better team at the start of next season with Aiden in the team though.

agreed - id prefer to keep him but it may be in our best interests to sell him
niall
niall

Back to top Go down

Post  GalwayBhoy Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Ghod wrote:If he stays then fair enough, if we get an offer we can't refuse it would be unrealistic to think Lenny wouldn't accept it, we need to build a team somehow and selling Aiden would give us the money required to do so. I think we would be a much better team at the start of next season with Aiden in the team though.

Agrred except for the last part. I think we need a more effective winger, with a good left foot. As much as I like Aiden, his crossing isn't what it should be imo, nor is his shooting.
GalwayBhoy
GalwayBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post  CE Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Lennon said at his first Q&A he would do anything to keep Aiden so its not the best of starts!
CE
CE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum